Man! I am tired.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a myriad of potential health issues that leads to overwhelming and often debilitating fatigue. Fatigue and health issues that stump doctors constantly. As a CFS patient, you are often written off very quickly as having something that is in your head or something that the doctor will tell you to just live with. Problem is, living with CFS and the often accompanying fibromyagia is a scenario where sufferers find it difficult to even function day to day. I have suffered with CFS and fibromyalgia along with back pain. I want to inform others about the supplement D-Ribose that can help with energy levels for the CFS sufferer.
I knew nothing about this supplement until I read the book "Fatigued to Fantastic" by Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D. Even my integrative doctor (mixing Western medicine and alternative medicine) was unaware of the benefits of ribose to those with CFS and fibromyalgia. D-Ribose is not a cure, but it can help with energy levels and muscle pain while your doctor works with you to find the actual cause or causes of your body's meltdown. Dr. Teitelbaum's book is one of the best resources I have found for CFS. (I have no affiliation to him or his book)
A couple of my issues are Lyme's Disease and adrenal insufficiency. These cause a myriad of effects to my immune system.
Five Carbon Sugar
So what the heck is this ribose stuff???
It is a simple five carbon sugar that is found naturally in our bodies. It is used by our body to provide energy for our tissues. It provides the key building block of ATP (energy currency in our bodies). It is different than most other sugars such as sucrose, glucose, lactose and fructose in that those sugars are just burned by the body for fuel and become toxic in high amounts.
I suggest that you do more research to learn more about the technical nature of ribose and our bodies. My goal is getting the word out.
Those with CFS and fibromyalgia don't make or have enough ribose in their muscle tissues including the heart muscle which further complicates the fatigue process. By taking D-Ribose as a supplement, it replaces an important energy making ingredient for ATP by supplementation.
Full of Energy or Increased Energy?
Weee, look at me...
D-Ribose is not going to cure or totally restore your energy levels if you have severe CFS. It can help though. It might help your muscles feel better. Fatigue causes tired and sore muscles. There is still so much we do not know about CFS and fibromyalgia. Perhaps, if you are a little fatigued, D-Ribose will give you a full amount of energy. Bottom line, somehow, someway, you/we have to find out the root of our fatigue and that takes time and is often so frustrating. Getting a handle on our diet, medications, depression, stress, relationships, exercise and on and on is VERY IMPORTANT!
What I am NOT going to do:
- Give you a dosage to take
- Tell you that this is a cure
- Give you all the facts
- Tell you that this supplement is absolutely right for you
- Sell you the supplement here (sick of those people right now)
What I am going to do
- Read "Fatigued to Fantastic"
- Read up on D-Ribose and CFS
- Read up on Adrenal insufficiency
- That I recommend the D-Ribose powder over the tablets
- That it has helped me. I use it daily and it tastes pretty darn good and is only slightly sweet
- To research diabetics, insulin sensitivity and candida if you have these issues (although research suggests that D-Ribose DOES NOT effect any of these issues) I have two out of three!
- That sometimes you just have to try things out to see if they help
- To find a good integrative doctor or nurse practitioner
- That I am throwing out a disclaimer that I am not a doctor and I am not intending to diagnose your health issue or claim this is a cure or best for you.
Last little note: D-Ribose is also good for those who are healthy and desire more healthy energy especially if you are active.
Rock on to good health!!
I don't sell supplements, but I have had good success with Vitacost, The Vitamin Shoppe, Sprouts, Whole Foods and our local HEB grocery Health sections in Texas. The first to two are available online.